Friday, June 13, 2008

About a coach

So everywhere I go, everything I do, it all seems to be coming back to Mike D'Antoni. I guess it doesn't help that I'm currently 150 pages deep into :07 Seconds or Less (which I highly recommend), but the fact remains: I am still extremely disappointed that the Bulls did not get D'Antoni as their head coach.

Newsday (via TrueHoop) reminds us today about what basketball players all over the planet think about D'Antoni...
Another combo guard came to the MSG Training Center for a predraft workout with
the Knicks and spoke with wide-eyed anticipation about playing in the Mike
D'Antoni system. 'If you get the opportunity to play for D'Antoni,' O.J.
Mayo said, 'you get a great chance to put up shots and really get up and down.'
Again, just imagine Derrick Rose running D'Antoni's system. Steve Nash 2.0. Rather than the laughingstock this franchise has become, imagine the most exciting team in the league, running the floor with reckless abandon and WINNING.

Nothing against Vinny Del Negro, but I don't think he's got what it takes. Not yet, anyway. Maybe 5 years down the road, after he's gotten used to the challenges and jackass players. Hell, VDN may be a phenomenal coach some day. But right now, for a team that was EXPECTED TO CONTEND FOR THE TITLE, he's wrong. And really, it's not fair to the fans or the city. This was a team that was a mere one step away in '06-07, and now its a training ground for an inexperienced coach?

Look, the bottom line is that we don't know what we're going to get from VDN, and I doubt that Paxson even knows. This is the real problem. Maybe if it was the first, or second, or even third problem Paxson has had, maybe then we could forgive. But sadly this is just another dot on the downward spiral that is Paxson's timeline as GM.

So answer me this: Is it wrong for a Bulls fan to switch alliances to the Knicks? At what point can we say "You're not trying, so forget it?" At what point will the Chicago fan feel so abandoned that they have nothing left to do but move on?

No comments: