Thursday, June 5, 2008

On the NBA Finals and the Bulls...

Miss me? I know you did.

Lots going on, especially in the NBA…

  • NBA Finals - Should be great games, and Stern and the brass are obviously overjoyed. Add ABC to that mix as well.
  • Games will all start at 9 ET, which I personally love. I know it means some late nights for the East Coasters, but hey, suck it up…
  • Doug Collins to the Bulls? Looked like all but a done deal, but no one has heard anything since. Either Paxson and co. are really trying hard to make it look like they’re doing their due dilligence, or they’re second-guessing Collins.
Regarding Collins, I don’t think his style is going to mesh with this team. Building a team in his image/style may be somewhat successful, but not for the long haul. I don’t think he can resonate with today’s NBA, plus his teams PLAY SO FREAKIN’ SLOW! They are constantly in the bottom-5 in terms of pace, even when Michael Jordan was at the height of his athleticism.


With Collins as coach, I predict one of the following will happen…

  1. Bulls draft Rose; terrible fit with the teams’ style/offense; Rose demands trade within 2 years and then flourishes for another team that plays uptempo
  2. Bulls take Beasley, who gets into some off-court issues letting off steam after being punished inside by the NBA’s bigger bodies and never lives up to the hype. Maybe a couple all-star years, but nothing to write home about. Meanwhile Rose flourishes in Miami to the dismay of Bulls fans everywhere.
  3. Bulls trade pick for superstar (like D Wade). Collins tries to make him Jordan 2.0, but can’t. Team becomes one-dimensional - like an East Coast version of Kobe’s Lakers prior to Gasol. Wade pulls a Kobe, calls out teammates, bolts team for NY in 2010.
Maybe I’m a pessamist, but there’s a whole hell of a lot to look forward to in the next couple years.

One last prediction: Lakers in 6, Zen Master coaches circles around Doc and his merry men.

No comments: